Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Problem with Windows Mobile activesync and googlegroups

 
Problem with Windows Mobile activesync and googlegroups
Hello, I am using Outlook 2007 and until last month I was using a PDA with Pocket PC 3.0 to sync with it. I recently bought a new PDA/Phone that has Windows Mobile 6.1 and have begun syncing that with my PC, but have found a problem, which I hoped somebody out ther might be able to help me solve.....
Hello, I am using Outlook 2007 and until last month I was using a PDA with Pocket PC 3.0 to sync with it. I recently bought a new PDA/Phone that has Windows Mobile 6.1 and have begun syncing that with my PC, but have found a problem, which I hoped somebody out ther might be able to help me solve.

I subscribe to a number of googlegroup mailing lists and when the emails from these groups arrive in my desktop PC inbox the "From" field in the list of emails correctly displays the author of the email, for example "Fred Bloggs". When I open the email, the "From" line is displayed as follows:

*** Email address is removed for privacy *** on behalf of Fred Bloggs *** Email address is removed for privacy ***]

When I was syncing to my old PDA with Pocket PC 3.0, the inbox on the PDA displayed the authors' names correctly, as in "Fred Bloggs" and when I opened the email on the PDA it correctly displayed at the top of the email that it was from "Fred Bloggs".

However, when I now sync to my new PDA with Windows Mobile 6.1, all of the emails are listed in the inbox to be from *** Email address is removed for privacy *** . All of the "On behalf of" reference has been truncated. The same applies when I actually open the email on the new PDA. The result of this is that it is impossible to tell who the contributor is to the discussion that is taking place.
I am actually able to log in to my internet service provider (Freenet) directly from my phone if I choose to receive my emails in that way. If I do that then the emails arrive in a separate "Freenet" inbox on my phone. In this case, any emails that I receive from googlegroups are listed with the senders name correctly displayed and when I open the email the name of the sender is correctly displayed at the top of the mail. This Freenet inbox was set up when I set up the POP SMTP mail account on my phone.

However, if I receive the emails on to my desktop PC, where I use outlook 2007, and then use activesync to get the emails on to my phone/pda, the emails synchronize in to the original "outlook e-mail" inbox that is part of windows mobile 6.1. As described earler,in this scenario, any emails from googlegroups are displayed in the inbox as being from "googlegroups" without the vital originator's name. Similarly, if I open one of the emails, I can only see that it came from googlegroups, but cannot see the originator's name.


Is this a problem that has been highlighted previously? Is there a setting in windows mobile 6.1 to change the way that it handles this "on behalf of" emails. Any help would be appreciated in trying to get Windows Mobile 6.1 to be as user friendly as Pocket PC3.0 !!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment